I know it’s summer when I start to make my Toasted Barley Salad with Roasted Red Pepper and Corn. It’s that seasonal change in cooking that makes you so excited for the new weather and new cooking. In spring it’s the first time I make a potato salad or this toasted barley salad. In fall it’s the first time I make mashed potatoes or scalloped potatoes. Certain recipes remind me of each season.
I like to think of this salad as my “beach salad”. I received this recipe many years ago from my close friend Doreen. My kids were young and I would make them lunch for the beach. The usual, a sandwich, goldfish crackers, cookies, etc. I would make this salad and have it all to myself. All the ingredients are so fresh and the lime and cilantro is so refreshing on a hot beach day.
I made this on Sunday and it was one of our first warm days of spring. When it was ready, I took the picture with the sunset beaming in through the window. I hope you enjoy this fresh delicious salad as much as we did. It was a great start to a new season.
Start by toasting the barley in a dry fry pan and then add the broth. You can use vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian dish or if you have chicken broth you can use that as well. I used chicken broth because that is what I had on hand.
While the broth and barley are cooking you can dice the remaining ingredients and add to a large bowl.
Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and dice small.
Look at all the pretty colors in this dish.
When the barley is cooled, add it to the chopped ingredients.
Make the olive oil and lime dressing and whisk well.
Toss the barley and vegetables with the dressing and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature in a nice bowl. If it’s really hot this is good served cold as well.
Toasted Barley Salad with Roasted Red Pepper and Corn
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 cups canned vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 jarred, roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 large plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels or frozen kernels thawed under running water
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place barley in heavy large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until pale golden, shaking pan occasionally, about 5-10 minutes. Don't let the barley burn, as soon as it starts to brown, add broth to pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until barley is tender and broth is absorbed, about 30-35 minutes. Uncover and let barley cool.
- Place roasted red pepper in large bowl with tomatoes, corn, cilantro, green onion. Add the cooled barley. Whisk the olive oil and lime juice together and toss to blend. Season salad with salt and pepper.
Recipe from Renee @ Renee's Favorite Dishes
Published on ReneesFavoriteDishes.com