So we are having another winter storm and I actually love it. But I am like everyone else in New England and a bit scared remembering winter 2015. We had an easy beginning to winter and then February hit and it all went to hell.
This year I am enjoying cooking during these storms and taking pictures of the beautiful birds of winter. Today I planned to make a french pork pie but spent too much time taking bird pictures. So, I had to bring in a plan of something easier with ingredients I had in the house.
I came up with a Pork Shepherds Pie. I hope you like this recipe because it uses ingredients you will probably have in the house.
Start with ground pork and veggies then add the flour and broth.
Add the peas
Mashed potatoes top it off
Winter comfort food at its best!
And then there were beautiful birds
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/4 cup orange pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked peas
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (make your favorite mashed potato recipe for this part-I like mine with milk and butter, salt and pepper)
- Brown pork, garlic, onion and orange pepper in a skillet for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Add broth and cook, stirring, until the mixture bubbles and thickens.Pour the meat mixture into a three quart casserole. Layer the peas on top of the pork. Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the peas. Top with small pieces of butter to brown the top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Recipe by Renee at Renee's Favorite Dishes
Published on ReneesFavoriteDishes.com