Healthy Blueberry Banana Muffins for a weekend when the house is full and you need a quick breakfast. When I am cooking on a holiday weekend it’s always nice to have something easy and quick for breakfast. A nice blueberry muffin with coffee or tea is just the right thing.
I had this blueberry muffin recipe from allrecipes.com but had to adjust it a bit for what I had in house. I only had two small bananas and one was already cut in half and taken…so time to improvise. I needed a little more moisture so I added 2/3 cup of our homemade cinnamon apple sauce. You could use store bought and your preference of cinnamon flavor or plain apple sauce.
A tray of blueberry muffins is a quick and easy treat for all ages and this one with wheat flour and egg whites is a healthy choice.
It’s all good to watch what we eat but I have to treat myself with topping a warm muffin with nice creamy butter and a cold glass of milk.
Healthy Blueberry Banana Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 small mashed bananas
- 2/3 cup apple sauce
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix the bananas, apple sauce, egg whites, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the banana mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Fold in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
Recipe by Renee @ Renee's Favorite Dishes
Published on ReneesFavoriteDishes.com